We encourage you to help us enrich the educational experience of our students by joining the PTA. The overall purpose of the PTA is to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children. As a PTA member you have input into our important decisions like how PTA money is spent, which activities are sponsored, and input in planning for the future.
Why join the PTA?
- Raise funds to promote activities that enhance the joy and well-being of James John’s students and staff in a way that complements and enriches the learning environment.
- To provide volunteer support for school programs that result in the nurturing and education of all our students.
- Advocate on behalf of all students, staff and the school.
- Encourage community support by building relationships among the parents, the school and the community.
- Your membership adds to the numbers that support state and national PTA lobbying efforts with the goal of improving education for all.
As a PTA volunteer you can use your skills and hobbies for a relevant cause while setting a good example for your child and all children in the community.
Is there a fee?
As family members, teachers, students, neighbors, and friends, we are the James John Parent-Teacher Association. We are a voice for children in our school, and we make possible many programs, technology and events that the Portland Public Schools budget does not cover. We do this through our contributions of volunteer time and funds.
We invite you to become a PTA member and contribute your time or money as you are able. Everyone is welcome to join the PTA. We do not want money to ever be an issue in keeping you from joining the PTA.
If you can pay the full $10 amount, that’s great. If you are able to contribute more, please do, and if you cannot contribute at this time, that’s fine too, just pay what you can.
You can support us at our Memberhub store or, if you’d prefer, you can fill out one of the membership forms that are linked to on this page.
What do I have to do as a member?
We encourage family and community involvement, however, becoming a member of PTA does NOT mean that you must commit to volunteer hours or attend every meeting. We respect that you do only what you can, when you can. We welcome you and your support! You are always welcome to attend our monthly PTA Meetings, which happen every third Thursday at 6pm. If you cannot make the meetings, you can always find the minutes at the bottom of this page in the footer.
See our Events page for the latest times and dates for PTA meetings and events.
Can I attend meetings and PTA functions or volunteer if I am not a member?
Everyone is welcome at meetings and events, however you are required to be a member to vote on budgetary issues at the meetings and to serve on our executive board.